What makes a community the ideal place to live? For most, it includes a location that allows them to enjoy their favourite extracurricular activities with ease. Keswick on the River parks and recreation options are plentiful, and we’ve gathered together a few of our favourites below. All of the activities listed are within a 15 minute drive of Keswick on the River. Don’t be surprised if you find yourself asking, “why didn’t we move sooner!?”
Just 10 minutes away you’ll find the Terwillegar Community Recreation Centre. This facility has a whole lot to offer (including a Second Cup coffee shop to help with those early morning hockey practices!) Check it out:
- Swimming Pool (salt water) including: wave pool with spray features, lazy river, waterslide, whirlpool, tot pool and steam room
- Hockey arena with 4 NHL-sized ice sheets and skate sharpening
- Fitness Centre and track
- 3 full sized gymnasiums
- 2 storey indoor playground and childminding services
- Exercise classes like yoga, spin, mom and baby, and Pilates; and
- Active Older Adult programming.
Parks and Playgrounds
Not only does Keswick on the River have an extensive trail system (over 8km, to be exact), playground, and amazing green space that includes 3 ponds, there are additional options close by (after all, they say variety is the spice of life!) Here’s a few to get your weekend plans started:
- Terwillegar Park – part of the North Saskatchewan River valley parks system, and home to arguably the city’s best off-leash dog park, this spot is fun for the whole family.
- South Terwillegar Park – you’ll not only find that the summertime splash park is the perfect way to stay cool, but the sizable sand playground here is just as fun.
- Snow Valley Aerial Park – no snow needed here to have a unique experience high in the sky.
Also be sure to keep your eyes open for Pop Up Play at the Keswick on the River playground. This City of Edmonton program runs May-August and offers quality games, challenges, and crafts to keep kids active and entertained right in their own neighbourhood.
You might have been drawn to the Keswick area because of the exceptional golfing options, and they do not disappoint.
- Windermere Golf & Country Club (private) – a stone’s throw from Keswick on the River, this picturesque course makes the most of river views, with elevation changes providing a feast for the eyes and a challenge for the clubs.
- River Ridge Golf & Country Club (public) – just 7 minutes away from Keswick on the River, River Ridge lives up to its name. Breathtaking views and mature tree-lined fairways make you feel as if you’ve been transported far out of city limits.
- Jagare Ridge Golf Club (public) – nestled in the Whitemud Creek Valley, just down the road from Keswick on the River, an island green and waterfalls set this course apart.
- Bogie Busters – just looking to practice? Swing by this driving range located on Ellerslie Road.
Skiing and Skating
We’re very fortunate to have winter weather fun waiting just around the corner!
- Snow Valley Ski Hill – in 15 minutes you can be strapping on the skis and jumping on the chairlift. Get ready to make some fun memories in the heart of the city.
- Rabbit Hill Snow Resort – 14 minutes is all it takes to arrive at this river valley resort. 40 acres of trails and terrain will welcome and wow you.
- Windermere Snowbank Rink – you’ll find this community league outdoor rink located in Langdale, just a few minutes from Keswick on the River. Benches are available to lace up those skates and hockey nets are ready for a game of shinny.
So much fun, so close by
We’re sure you’ll find something you love with all of these Keswick on the River parks and recreation options! The hardest part will be choosing what to do first!